Friday, September 18, 2009

Larry Gelbart in his own words

I loved the personal stories some of you told about Larry Gelbart following my tribute. Here's more on Larry. The TV Academy conducted an eight part interview with him that's available on YouTube. Each segment runs close to a half an hour. The one I've selected is the portion that centers on MASH. But I think you'll get a sense of what a affable, decent, humble, witty man he was.



SITCOM ROOM note: Registration is now closed. Thanks to all who signed up. We'll see you on November 14th. Get some sleep.

8 comments :

Mark Evanier said...

Minor correction: The WGA didn't do this interview. It's from the oral history series that the TV Academy conducted. There are hundreds of hours online with important teevee folks at http://www.emmytvlegends.org/

By Ken Levine said...

Thanks Mark. I made the correction. Now I don't feel bad that the WGA has never contacted me about doing an oral history.

J S Swanson said...

Mr.L:

An engrossing post - as usual!
I'd gush more but I have several other segments to view ....

sirvan said...

Thanks for sharing Mark. Let's try to find it out.

rob! said...

I could watch/listen Larry Gelbart talk about M*A*S*H all day.

Alan said...

The censorship stuff is really interesting. It's nice to see it's gotten better. Not even Janet Jackson could knock virgins off of tv.

It's a shame about the audio. It's kind of quiet and essy.

Arlen Peters said...

Regarding the comment by "Napa Valley Hobo" ... that "essy" sound you speak of is called "sibilance." I would bet you that the original recordings not only look great but sound superb because these are important archival pieces and they were shot by pros and recorded by pros.
Truly priceless material ... and such eloquence by the late Mr. Gelbart. Take some time and go on the TV Academy site and listen to some of greats of television past talk about their experiences in the medium ... it is well worth your time.

Barefoot Billy Aloha said...

This man, I'd like to have as a neighbor...